Peck Goes to School Peck Goes to School

This is what I love about the animation I find here. Artists frequently cross the line and make really fucked up stuff.

TD-Til All Are One TD-Til All Are One

This is waaay too relatable for me. Was about to be allowed in a chemical engineering major but they put off the decision to see how I would do in my math courses at the time. Got B's in calc 3 & 4 so they denied me and I went to chemistry (on that note I really wish art and science crossed paths more often). This was in the midst of people telling me 'oh you're smart you got this' and it all it does is add to your over-confidence in yourself.

Your illustration skills are AWESOME and combined with your narrative skills that you seem to let your personality come out in really make for an excellent storytelling experience. I believe it's that latter that really makes you stand out to me here. Can't wait to see more from you!

Raziberry responds:

Aw thank you! And yeah, art and science don't see enough of each other. They should hook up for drinks. Not tryin' to play matchmaker or anything, just sayin'.

Pancakes Pancakes

I love the dark parts of NG.

Different Different

You're out of my league to actually give constructive criticism. I just appreciate your work and especially your mixing.

If money is something you're looking for with music production why not lend some of your mixing skills? I can't believe you only spent 11 hours on this, that is amazing. You clearly have an ear for mixing electronic music (and quickly). I'm curious how you would mix other types of music.

11:17 is my favorite part, when listening to the song for long enough that chord really stands out. Your mixing here really stands out a lot more to me than your arrangement in this though. In terms of the mixing though, part of me wanted to hear you play with your stereo image more, based on the mixing I'm sure you have the tools and skill to get creative in that respect. Then again, your average NGer probably isn't going to be listening for stereo image. Some people will probably say this is too long, but just playing the song without looking at the end time kept my attention throughout it.

Cursedsnake responds:

Same as for tinymanx- Best comments ever. Thank you!
I'm planning to make a live stream where I'll be making music and stuff. But I don't know yet because I'm stuttering and thus I don't really like talking, which sometimes affects my community involvement- As you might have noticed because I rarely write back :P
We'll see. Thanks again!

Lost Thoughts Lost Thoughts

Welp, biased here because I just like synthwave, listened to this quite a few times now.

It is awesome to hear you pay more attention to your stereo image! And I'm really happy that happened when you decided to play around with synthwave. You're definitely improving fast, as far as techincal ability there's not much I can really say, you know as much as I know at this point it seems. The style is very true to what synthwave is, especially in the synths that you used and in the arragement of your chords and leads. The arp at 45s really sells it for me. If you wanted to go more in the direction of synthwave, I would recommend using something for either vinyl or tape emulation (or maybe try to do it your own, maybe difficult but unnecessary). iZotope vinyl is a good start for this (bit annoying to work with sometimes but it does a good job). Even bitcrushing can be useful for this genre. A song I used as a mixing reference (especially for percussion) in synthwave was Turbo Killer by Carpenter Brut and iZotope was became very useful. Maybe it would be lame to just copy it, but being able to achieve that sound might help, idk. Love the transition and the swells for the beginning of a new phrase, you got that shit down.

My only suggestion is the snare/rimshot you used in the intro. I do like how it contrasts the percussion you have in the chorus, however it doesn't fit with the feel of the song for me in the context of synthwave for me. Gives me a march feel or maybe it's a bit intense for the progression behind it, it's hard to tell exactly what it is when you're only working off of the immediate feeling something gives you.

Love it, you keep doing you.

TrickshotCat12 responds:

Thank you so much! You're my favourite person on this site and you always give the best reviews and advice, it has helped me so much it wouldn't be the same without you :)

Hope to see more reviews from you aswell, love reading it.

Radiance - Collab Radiance - Collab

Always nice to hear ya! I'm typing the first paragraph here after my first listen (usually more reflective of my subjective first impressions) and the second after I've listened to it 4 times.

You have a solid hook here which is definitely characteristic of your house music inspired style. I effing love how the style changed at 2:13 to a synthwave-ish kinda style (mostly just cause I've been listening to Carpenter Brut recently). Some synthwave music uses a rhythm which includes a bass arp like the one you have in your first drop. I think something like that would have fit there with the same kind of manual sidechaining you have on the first one maybe with some minor bitcrushing. Check out CMT bitcrusher, it's free and is just great, you can get the .zip from this page

Now I've listened to this a couple times. The piano stands out to me, I think because I come from a family where everyone plays piano and so expression in velocity is something that is just kind of important to me (house doesn't typically give a fuck about the next point I'm making). When a pianist plays, every key is hit with a different velocity but also some keys (even within the same chord) are plays with different velocities intentionally as to add more expression. This is where having a velocity-sensitive keyboard really comes into play as it becomes much easier to capture the expression from your keystrokes (may require some piano experience). Just a technique I think you could incorporate for now is just playing with the velocities of all the notes until you find something which seems for expressive to you (a lot of inspiration for velocity expression in piano comes from classical music in my case, it may take some listening to get a feel for it). I do think it can be applied to house though. Maybe playing with some more reverb on the piano would be nice too (I just like reverbed pianos, I may be biased there)

Still love the synthwave-ish part, you're definitely getting better at using portamento in your hooks now, which is definitely something that can be risky if you don't know what you're doing. It works very well here. I like the tom fills you have and how you used them to transition. Maybe one thing I would say is try giving your leads some breathing room, like whether it's giving the center-stage to a percussive sound for a beat or two or maybe a riff of another instrument can come through for a moment, even making room for some silence would be good. I think the next step for you on a technical level is stereo effects and 'placing' instruments in a way that can create a space. This definitely stresses the use of reverbs as well.

Alright, there are all my jumbled thoughts on this, good work my dude! Look forward to hearing more!

TrickshotCat12 responds:

Holy shit dude! Thank you so much, i've always relied on you for giving some really good criticism, the piano part is really useful especially since i've learnt a new tactic and way to make the piano extremely good sounding along with like a real player (skilled player) playing it, I'm working on a special track, it's going to be including a vocalist and it'll be my first ever vocal song

I'll send you the link in a private message, although currently no vocals, the lyrics have been wrote for the first part.