Peck Goes to School Peck Goes to School

This is what I love about the animation I find here. Artists frequently cross the line and make really fucked up stuff.

TD-Til All Are One TD-Til All Are One

This is waaay too relatable for me. Was about to be allowed in a chemical engineering major but they put off the decision to see how I would do in my math courses at the time. Got B's in calc 3 & 4 so they denied me and I went to chemistry (on that note I really wish art and science crossed paths more often). This was in the midst of people telling me 'oh you're smart you got this' and it all it does is add to your over-confidence in yourself.

Your illustration skills are AWESOME and combined with your narrative skills that you seem to let your personality come out in really make for an excellent storytelling experience. I believe it's that latter that really makes you stand out to me here. Can't wait to see more from you!

Raziberry responds:

Aw thank you! And yeah, art and science don't see enough of each other. They should hook up for drinks. Not tryin' to play matchmaker or anything, just sayin'.

Pancakes Pancakes

I love the dark parts of NG.

Radiance - Collab Radiance - Collab

Always nice to hear ya! I'm typing the first paragraph here after my first listen (usually more reflective of my subjective first impressions) and the second after I've listened to it 4 times.

You have a solid hook here which is definitely characteristic of your house music inspired style. I effing love how the style changed at 2:13 to a synthwave-ish kinda style (mostly just cause I've been listening to Carpenter Brut recently). Some synthwave music uses a rhythm which includes a bass arp like the one you have in your first drop. I think something like that would have fit there with the same kind of manual sidechaining you have on the first one maybe with some minor bitcrushing. Check out CMT bitcrusher, it's free and is just great, you can get the .zip from this page

Now I've listened to this a couple times. The piano stands out to me, I think because I come from a family where everyone plays piano and so expression in velocity is something that is just kind of important to me (house doesn't typically give a fuck about the next point I'm making). When a pianist plays, every key is hit with a different velocity but also some keys (even within the same chord) are plays with different velocities intentionally as to add more expression. This is where having a velocity-sensitive keyboard really comes into play as it becomes much easier to capture the expression from your keystrokes (may require some piano experience). Just a technique I think you could incorporate for now is just playing with the velocities of all the notes until you find something which seems for expressive to you (a lot of inspiration for velocity expression in piano comes from classical music in my case, it may take some listening to get a feel for it). I do think it can be applied to house though. Maybe playing with some more reverb on the piano would be nice too (I just like reverbed pianos, I may be biased there)

Still love the synthwave-ish part, you're definitely getting better at using portamento in your hooks now, which is definitely something that can be risky if you don't know what you're doing. It works very well here. I like the tom fills you have and how you used them to transition. Maybe one thing I would say is try giving your leads some breathing room, like whether it's giving the center-stage to a percussive sound for a beat or two or maybe a riff of another instrument can come through for a moment, even making room for some silence would be good. I think the next step for you on a technical level is stereo effects and 'placing' instruments in a way that can create a space. This definitely stresses the use of reverbs as well.

Alright, there are all my jumbled thoughts on this, good work my dude! Look forward to hearing more!

TrickshotCat12 responds:

Holy shit dude! Thank you so much, i've always relied on you for giving some really good criticism, the piano part is really useful especially since i've learnt a new tactic and way to make the piano extremely good sounding along with like a real player (skilled player) playing it, I'm working on a special track, it's going to be including a vocalist and it'll be my first ever vocal song

I'll send you the link in a private message, although currently no vocals, the lyrics have been wrote for the first part.

Fuckt up! Fuckt up!

And you said I was underrated...

I like the intro you've added and hearing that synth again was nostalgic and reminds of when I first came across this song. How long does your project say you worked on it?? Everything sounds very crisp on my setup. I like that it has a dance hook that you could play at a club but also has little background elements to make it fun for people who are just listening closely. I fucking love the lead synth that comes in at 1:15, everything is perfect about that. Are you sidechaining manually (via envelopes) or are you using the percussion peak to directly control the sidechain on the instruments? Both techniques definitely work, I'm just curious.

I would play with some heavier reverb on the violins though and maybe go in an randomize the velocities on the notes and do some subtle adjustments of the violins to make them not all start at grid points (to kind of emulate human error in playing real instruments). Obviously it's up and it's good so no need, just ideas to explore in the future.

The-Cockenator responds:

Haha thanks this song has been coming and going for the last 3 years lost the save files so i had r create the violins but 60% of the song is content here from ng or soundcloud and the sidechain is really simple :/ just cotrolled with fruity limiter so super simple and easy i have done manually but it takes to much time and fruity limiter works just fine and the synth lead i used is just WASP something i learnd from seamlessR it is just one modulator throu allot of filters and distortions :D

BOSS TIME! BOSS TIME!

This is really good, wow! You get the marching band style very well. I love the brass swells at 45s and how you use the higher timbre instruments in a sort of call and answer sort of fashion with the rest of the band.

What do you make this with?

EliasGamez responds: